- No School/Homeschool: Mon, Sep. 5-Labor Day
- WATER BOTTLES: Please remind students to bring their water bottle to school everyday.
- Happily Family EdNextGen webinars available! Check out these great videos that give helpful tips for parenting and teaching. If you would like access to the many incredible videos at your fingertips, please contactDVIAoffice@davincischools.org for your temporary log in and password. (Password will change frequently for security purposes). Thank you to Jason and Cecilia for this awesome opportunity!
- FAN Opening Social and Film Festival!- Sat, Sept 10 from 12:00-3:00
- Volunteers Needed to help with the Film Festival: Go to the link below to signup: m.signupgenius.com/#!/showSignUp/10c0e4da8a723a75-volunteers
- Sep. 13: Scooter's Jungle- Starts @ 5pm...make sure to buy your tickets early!
MATH with MEGAN: Over the last few weeks, students have been working on an ‘All About Me Poster’, where they had to create math sentences that represent cool facts about themselves. Student’s posters were informal assessments as well as a great way for kiddos to get know each other. Third graders began lesson 12 in Engage NY, reviewed place value concepts with the help of a comical parody, and successfully logged back into ST Math. Fourth graders began lesson 1 and 2 of Engage NY, reviewed place value concepts with various minute to win it challenges, and also successfully logged into ST Math. Some students reported that they are experiencing problems at home with logging into ST Math, and I am trying to troubleshoot. I appreciate your patience, and will let families know as soon as the issue gets worked out.
Some of you have reached out to let me know you are receiving an error when your student attempts to login to ST Math at home. The tech team at MIND Institute suggested that this might be happening to those of you who are using IPads, and may need to reset your cache. To clean your cache:
1) Make sure the ST Math APP is closed
2) Open settings
3) Open ST Math settings
4) Reset Flash Cache
5) Close settings and reopen ST Math App
This should resolve the ‘server not found’ errors. If you are still experiencing issues, please reach out to me.
Megan Johnson| Core 3Teacher
DA VINCI Innovation academy
P: 310-725-5800 | http://mjohnsondavinci.weebly.com/
Visit our "Writerly Life" blog located in the Resources section under Writing. Here, I will share strategies of what students did in class so that you can use these strategies at home. Here is the link: dviacore3.weebly.com/the-writerly-life
Using a mentor text and modeling throughout the text helps students identify the skill of focus. Consider finding books or passages in which you can use for your mini lesson.
Art with Cordula: Students finished their portrait of Aesop and final touches with watercolor for their sun and moon design. Cordula read the next fable, The Crow and the Pitcher. This is a great book that shows wit and perseverance. Moral: "Necessity is the mother of invention" or "In a pinch a good use of our wits may help us out."
This book lends itself to have some fun science experiments in trying to make water rise to the top of a pitcher or thin neck container by adding different items, like the crow added pebbles. You could also work on estimating how many pebbles it would take to make the water rise high enough for the crow to drink the water and figure out what other materials could be added to water.
Have a fun week of learning!